Saturday, May 31, 2008

Memorial Weekend


Memorial weekend has forever and always been my most favorite holiday. I just love that were get to visit our loved ones that have passed on, and I love to see all the veterens that are honored too. We always travel to Manti and then on to Riverton. Troy's dad is in Riverton so we always go there and watch the Veterans services. Troy dad was in the Utah Air National Guard, he served in Vietnam and was then pulled out of retirement to serve in Desert Storm. It is so nice to see that he is still honored and remembered. It brings a tear to my eye every time I hear their program.
As most of you know I am a history teacher, so whenever we are out and about the state I am always looking for something historic. So while in Manti we ventured into Spring City. (What a historic little town.) and did some looking around. Troy's dad was born in Spring City, and so we wanted to see if we could find the place where he was born, and we did!! It is a small one room cabin.

We took some pictures of it. I can't even imagine living in something this small.

After finding this little bit of history, there was something else that I wanted to see.


How many of you know that there is a cemetery in Spring city right in the middle of town? Well there is. It is very small and in the shape of the state of Utah. The first people buried there were 3 pioneers that were killed during the Black Hawk War, and the last person buried there was buried in 1910. It was a great find, and I would tell everyone that likes historic things to venture to this little town of treasures.

0 comments: